Hi! Are you here to get healthy with me? I sure hope so!!!
First, let me introduce myself. My name is Julie Cottrell. I am a registered dietitian, certified diabetes educator, certified holistic health coach and an independent Beachbody Coach. I have a master’s degree in clinical nutrition from the University of Kentucky. And I am a licensed dietitian in the state of Tennessee. I think you can see that I LOVE nutrition and health–it is an integral part of my life.
I am also a mom of two boys. I do my best to teach them how to make healthy choices, the same as I hope to teach you and your family to do. My husband is board certified in family medicine but works as an emergency room doctor. Our schedule is CRAZY, just as I expect yours is. But that is no excuse to not be healthy. My kitchen gets used every day and I will encourage you to use yours too! Who cares if you have to run off and leave a pot or two and some dirty plates in the sink? Making healthy choices is far more important than having a kitchen that is spotless at all times!
On a personal note–I will share with you that one of my children is on the autistic spectrum. Certain foods are seemingly beneficial to kids on the spectrum–foods that are less processed, not full of chemicals, food dyes, preservatives and all that jazz. We like foods that are fresh and full of health-promoting nutrients like probiotics, omega-3s, and other great things. Furthermore, three of my family members (me and my two boys) are all gluten-intolerant, so we do our best to avoid gluten. That doesn’t mean we buy all manner of gluten-free processed foods. It DOES mean that I use more REAL foods that also happen to be gluten-free. Lastly, I mostly like to prepare healthy meals that don’t require millions of ingredients and take all day to cook. Therefore, the majority of the recipes you will find posted here on my site will fall into the category of “tasty, quick and healthy”. I DO like to cook more elaborate meals sometimes, so not ALL recipes fall into this category. But most of them will.
I am invested in my own health–and yours–in many ways:
- I am always reading and learning about nutrition and health because this is something I feel passionate about. Also, this is a field that is still in its infancy; we are still learning about what works and what doesn’t. Ongoing education is a must!
- I am constantly in search of tools that will make it easier for you to reach your health and fitness goals. This is one reason why I became a Beachbody Coach–because there are many tools I can connect you with to expedite your road to health. I have been using many of their products for years (workout programs, Shakeology, even their cleanse called “The Ultimate Reset”) and I can vouch for their quality and effectiveness.
- I invested an entire year in an online course through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in order to become a certified health coach. The emphasis of health coaches is on learning about you as a whole person, and helping you to achieve health and wellness through a holistic approach. It is an integration of mind, body and spirit…and this is a direction we MUST pursue because our health is about so much more than just what we eat!
- As a dietitian, I have aligned myself with other dietitians in “Integrative Nutrition”. We are dietitians who are striving to get back to basics–to heal ourselves with diet, herbs and natural remedies as opposed to relying on medicines to heal us. I am honored to be a part of this leg of the dietetics world and believe it is a WONDERFUL thing that the American Academy of Dietetics has broadened its horizons.
Here’s a little more information about my credentials and work experience:
- 1993: Bachelor of Science, Biology, Tennessee Tech University
- 1995: Master of Science, Clinical Nutrition, University of Kentucky
- 1996: Completed dietetic internship, University of Kentucky
- 1996: Registered Dietitian
- 1996-1997: Nutrition Consultant with Martha Gregory and Associates, Louisville, KY
- 1997-2001: Clinical Nutrition Coordinator, Palmetto Baptist Hospital, Easley, SC
- 2001: Certified Diabetes Educator
- 2007-2010: Coordinator of Certified Diabetes Education Program and Diabetes Support Group, Harton Regional Medical Center, Tullahoma, TN
- 2011: Independent Beachbody Coach
- 2011: Started independent nutrition consulting company, RD4U
- 2013: Became a Certified Health Coach after completing training through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition